Monday, January 28, 2013

Reset Day


I lost .4lbs.  That's a total of 7.6 in five days. The gas and bloating are gone, however, my lips are swollen and burning.  I went off radar for lunch yesterday so I don't know if the problem was rye or something else I ate.  I am going to hold of doing Day Six, do a reset day, redo Day Five (I explain why below) and then do Day Six in two days.

I didn't have Manchego cheese in the house so I went to Whole Foods in Walnut Creek and walked into a "Raw Food Festival"s.  I walked around and view everything and realized that most items were made from ingredients I had already tested, raw almonds, raw seeds, kelp, coconut milk products, dark chocolate, beets and carrots.  The book says you can stop The Plan at any point and start up again so I took a chance to see what would happen.

The Festival was great for such a tiny store.  They had over ten vendors and I was able to taste something from almost every vendor except two because their products contained ingredients I haven't tested yet.  There were three things I tasted that I shouldn't have.  It was my fault because I didn't read the ingredients first.  The portion size of everything was so tiny and I really enjoyed the event so I decided to not worry about it and just expect to do a reset day tomorrow.

The coolest part of the event was what happened after I tried a kelp chip.   The "alive&radiant foods" vendor had six products for you to try.  Three of them made with kelp, The Kale Krunch, and all of them with safe ingredients, except sodium.  The other three were safe vegetables  however, they were made with seasame seeds so I didn't try them.  The portions were tiny, two teaspoons at most.  The ingredients for the Kale Krunch are Organic Kale, Organic Pumpkin Seeds, Organic Lemon Juice, Organic Chia Seeds, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and Himalayan Crystal Salt.  The Nutritional Facts I cared about were Calories 110, Sodium 200mg, and Protien 5g.  It was delicious so I bought a bag.   There were four other items I had tried earlier that I shouldn't have.  Two of them contained cabbage, one of them vinegar, and another had banana.  I was feeling fine when I left the store.  When I got home I popped open the bag of kale, measured out a serving size (half a bag) and started eating.  Near the end of my snack I noticed my lip started to feel like they were burning and getting swollen.  I took another bite and as the food touched my lips it hurt.  It was amazing, I realized something I ate was making me have this reaction.  I'm not sure what it was so I'm going to do tests on each individual item and then narrow it down to one of their ingredients.  I suspect its the sodium, but it could also be one of the other items I ate or that the Kale Krunch is made in a facility that processes tree nuts and soy.

After all that the scale did go down, however, I really want to retest the rye so I will take a day to get the inflamation down and the redo Day Five.

As for yesterdays foods, I loved the almond butter.  Instead of eating it with apple I opted for pear because mine are super ripe and I don't want them going bad.   It was delicious.  The apricot glaze on the chicken is amazing and it was super nice to end the day with a piece of chocolate.

I'm not sure what a reset day consists of.  I'll have to read the book to figure that out.  I'll update at the end of the day.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the plan nothing else has worked for me. I have PCOS and tried so much stuff even raw diet. I was intrigued when she said find the right foods for your body. I lost about 11-12pds, but have stalled and nervous. I read she said this will happen. It has been 4 days now and my weigt is the same. I wish I could get some insight when I will see weightloss again, because honestly, I can eat like this the rest of my life. I told my friend and her and her husband are doing so well too.

Sue said...

Lauren - I hope you feel better and get back on the plan (and the blog) soon.

Life said...

HI LAUREN! I'm wondering if you ever closely calculated your protein intake for a meal? or day? Also, are you soaking all of your nuts and seeds before eating them? (I have habitually done that for my pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, etc.) Thank you! Hope you're feeling really well. : )

Unknown said...

Hi Lauren! this is great to read! hope you return to it - I am just starting, so if you need an internet plan buddy, I'm game!

Ren said...

I haven't been calculating my protein because I've been following the menu but I read that when you get to Phase Three you have to track it so that you have between 80-100 grams a day.

The only seeds I've soaked are the flax seeds for the granola. Are we suppose to do soak all seeds? I don't remember reading that in the book.

Ren said...

Hi. I started back up again. If you have any advice I would love to hear it.